Wimbledon 2018: Angelique Kerber storms past Jelena Ostapenko to reach final

Live Serena Williams seeks Wimbledon final against Julia Goerges

Just hours after seven-time champion Williams booked her place in Saturday's final, Kensington Palace confirmed via Twitter the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle, will be attending.

"A lot of people were saying, "Oh, she should be in the final".

Serena Williams is out to make more history in the Wimbledon final when she faces Angelique Kerber in a repeat of the 2016 title match. She returned to the Tour in March having faced a critical period giving birth to her daughter last September.

German 13th seed Goerges was sent packing in only 70 minutes on Centre Court.

The 30-year-old then gained an early break in the second set on her way to the victory. It's an environment, particularly on finals weekend, that can make players feel ten-feet tall or overwhelm them with nerves.

"It's insane to even know how I feel because I literally didn't expect to do this well in my fourth tournament back", Williams said. "I really can't describe it, to be honest". She won here I don't know how many times.

"For me it was important to be moving well, have patience, and also take my chances when I had the chance to be aggressive myself". I'm looking forward to playing against her. That win was Williams' seventh Wimbledon title.

Ranked No 181, but seeded 25th because of her outstanding record here, Williams holds a 6-2 record against Kerber.

It'll be her 10th appearance in a final at the All England Club but by far her most unique. "I have to be ready for the match of my life".

"Every year for a couple years she comes out to Wimbledon", Williams said.

Indictment says Kremlin behind U.S. election hacks - 7/13/2018 8:05:36 PM
After a press conference with British Prime Minister Theresa May on Friday, Mr. For its part, Russian Federation said it was looking forward to the meeting.

Jaguar escapes enclosure, goes on animal killing spree
Unfortunately, the jaguar attacked and killed four alpaca, one emu and one fox in nearby habitats before it was sedated. It was not immediately clear how the animal got out of its enclosure and zoo officials said they were investigating.

Democrats - and John McCain
Additional reporting from Newsy affiliate CNN . "Deep State?" Trump asked on Twitter. "Takedown? I don't think so". A blimp depicting Trump as an orange, snarling baby was raised in the Scottish capital where hundreds protested .

She double-faulted on set point and Kerber, who served well and defended superbly when required to fend off Ostapenko's sporadic attacks, accelerated into a 5-1 lead.

Twenty years after making her Wimbledon debut as a precocious teenager and 16 years since her first title at the All England Club, Serena remains the pre-eminent force in the women's game.

"When I start this year, a goal was to be playing good in majors, in the Grand Slams, and to reach finals again".

When a panicked Goerges error wrapped up the first set, Serena's dominance was so total that the American, whose emotions are usually on full display, barely acknowledged the moment.

The second set followed a similar pattern, with the only brief wobble coming in the ninth game when Williams was broken.

Pretty awesome is right, and her legend will only grow with victory over World No. 10 Kerber on Saturday night.

"It's insane. I don't even know how to feel because I literally didn't expect to do this well in my fourth tournament back in 16 months", 25th seed Williams said after beating Julia Goerges in the semis. Whenever I go out there, I just try to win my match. "I had a really tough delivery, and I had to have multiple surgeries and nearly didn't make it, to be honest", said Williams. It's such a great feeling.

The Centre Court stage is renowned for its unique and intense atmosphere. "We had so many great matches in the last years. I want to get as many as I can, starting with - I still have a match to win, so I'm not even there yet".

It is a no-contest in terms of serving strength, but Kerber can keep the pressure on powerhouse Williams by landing a high percentage of her first deliveries in court.

Related news:

Hot News

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Serena Williams fights back the tears after Wimbledon final defeat
Jul 16, 2018 - 03:11
Once you do that, you've got a chance, but she wins points so quickly: serve and next shot or else just a straight return victor . Kerber said of her win: "It's just a dream come true". "For all the mums out there I was playing for you today", Williams said.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Dwayne Johnson not in touch with Tyrese Gibson
Jul 16, 2018 - 02:25
I very much enjoyed Jumanji and Rampage , so I was looking for a little of the same experience. Apparently, Johnson is friends with both of them and has been credited for setting up the pair.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Khamenei Adviser: Iran Coordinates Military Presence in Syria With Russia
Jul 15, 2018 - 05:42
Iran sees its presence in Syria as leverage in the regional battle for influence with Israel and U.S. A full withdrawal of Iranian-backed forces from Syria is a virtual non-starter.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Cheeky Princess Charlotte tells photographers 'You're not coming!'
Jul 15, 2018 - 05:39
While attending Prince Louis' christening , big sister Princess Charlotte gave photographers a sassy message and a stare-down. The service is due to start at 1500 GMT and last 40 minutes, while the list of godparents is expected later on Monday.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top First images emerge of boys rescued from Thailand cave
Jul 15, 2018 - 05:27
British divers found the 13 members of the soccer team huddled on a muddy ledge in a partly flooded chamber inside the cave. As a football coach , he is regarded as a generous and patient teacher willing to help even the least skilled kids.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Federal Bureau of Investigation agent Peter Strzok denies bias at hearing full of fireworks
Jul 15, 2018 - 05:00
The sharp tone of Strzok's statement set the stage for a contentious hearing following hours of closed-door questioning last week. During the daylong meeting, Strzok sparred with Republicans, who lashed out at him in often sharply personal exchanges.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Mueller probe indicts 12 Russians for hacking Democrats in 2016
Jul 15, 2018 - 04:30
Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer has urged the president to cancel that meeting, in light of the indictment. Trump's associates, saying "please tell me if i can help you anyhow ... it would be a great pleasure to me".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Minnesota Man Joe Czeck Arrested After Unsecured Boulder Kills 2
Jul 15, 2018 - 04:23
It took four fireman just to roll the boulder, the same rock that police said came flying off Czeck's dump truck on Monday. This story also serves as a reminder to secure larger items properly before putting them in a vehicle.

Trump scuppers trade deal with United Kingdom under May's Brexit
Jul 15, 2018 - 03:32
Trump has claimed to have recorded disputed exchanges in the past without providing evidence. The president made the comments ahead of meetings with May and Queen Elizabeth.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Georgia cops caught on bodycam ‘flipping coin to decide arrest’
Jul 15, 2018 - 02:56
Roswell Police Chief Rusty Grant said an internal department source told him about the incident right before July 4. Webb apologizes, saying she was late for work, and Brown tells her to turn off the auto and hand over her keys.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Senate approves symbolic resolution for bigger role in tariff decisions
Jul 15, 2018 - 02:54
The vote comes as Trump is overseas at the annual North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit in Brussels. More: These 15 counties are most exposed to China's tariffs.

Nancy Sinatra Sr. Dies at 101
Jul 15, 2018 - 02:32
When Sinatra shot to fame in the 1940s, the couple relocated to Los Angeles, where their youngest daughter Tina Sinatra was born. Nancy Sinatra Sr ., ex-wife of late singer Frank Sinatra and mother of their three children , has died at age 101.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Wimbledon 2018 -- Angelique Kerber beats Serena Williams for 3rd Grand Slam title
Jul 15, 2018 - 01:48
Kerber, 30, made just five unforced errors compared to Williams' 24 as the German native reversed the result of the 2016 final. Serena was often forced out of position, obliged to react quickly and struggled to find the space she needed to hit big.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top See the homemade protest placards held aloft as Trump visits the UK
Jul 15, 2018 - 01:44
The balloon won't be allowed to fly this high over the city - but it will be large.The a 20-foot-tall angry "Trump Baby" blimp . Donald Trump said he feels " unwelcome " in London hours after claiming that Londoners "like me a lot", according to The Hill .

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top US, South Korea hold ceremony to return home war remains:The Asahi Shimbun
Jul 15, 2018 - 01:25
The state secretary later said in Japan that the talks were making progress and there was an ambience of "good faith". President Trump tweeted out the note, dated July 6, on Thursday. "We were ready", one official said.